[bksvol-discuss] Re: Page Number Problem

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:13:58 -0400

Here is another important question. Does page 117 begin a chapter or some kind of section. If it does then it is likely that page 116 was a blank page. If the narrative just continues from page 115 to page 117 without any kind of natural division then it is quite unlikely that page 116 was blank. It might have contained an illustration of some kind, though, that did not scan. Are there other pages in the book where pictures fill a page? If so then that might be what is on page 116.

On 7/18/2012 11:36 AM, Sandi Ryan wrote:
Hi Lisa,

From a scanner's perspective, there are a couple of things to check:

1. Does Page 117 mesh well with 115? Is the page number on the page that identifies itself as file page 117 the same, or does it say 116? If so, delete the blank page so the numbers are correct. If it says Page 117, go further.

2. Check several lines on the page that follows the blank page. Does it all make sense? Sometimes, two pages in a book mesh themselves into one. When this happens, there is a blank page, followed by a very long page that incorporates both pages of the scan, interleaved so they make little sense. You can check this by reading the page. Are there spots where the story thread seems to go along, then to break off into something else for a line or two? In this case, get whoever scanned the book (e-mail is in the book's history) to rescan that page and send it to you. Then you can insert it and delete both the blank page and the bad one.

The best way to judge whether the blank page is in the book is to 1) check the page numbers written in the book, not the page number announced by the file, or 2) have the scanner, or someone else, check the book quickly to see if Page 116 is blank.

HTH!

Sandi

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisa Gorden-Cushman" <crysania@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>