[bksvol-discuss] Re: Page Number Discussion

  • From: "Maria Kristic" <maria6289@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 23:04:37 -0400

Hi Jim,

1. Yes. The majority of people on the list, and I happen to agree with this,
decided that it's easier to confirm the page we're on if the page numbers
are at the top; if I search for a page number, or navigate by pages in a
DAISY file, it's nicer to know I'm at the top of the page and just start
reading from the place where the number was found, rather than having to
navigate back up to the previous page and then read down as I would have to
do if the page numbers were at the bottom. Plus, having page numbers at the
tops of pages ensures that chapter headings, story titles, and such will be
protected when the stripper is run on the uploaded RTF file to produce the
final BRF and DAISY versions.

2. Yes. To make sure we're on the same page, the format is, starting from
the top of a page:
Page Break (the page begins)
Blank Line
Page Number
Blank Line
Chapter title or similar title, if applicable
Blank Line
Text of the Page
Blank Line (following the last line of text)
Page Break (bottom of the page)
If there were no chapter title, the only variation would be:
Page Number
Blank Line
Text of the Page

3. First, because several Bookshare readers with vision have recently
expressed their difficulty in reading books containing the varied fonts
sometimes produced by OCR, several volunteers, myself included, have chosen
to standardize the font throughout the text. I select it all, then do so to
Times New Roman 12. Because the Bookshare conversion software will strip all
but one of them anyway, and to help with pagination, I also remove any
excess blank lines from pages, leaving only one in each place listed in #2.
In Word, setting view to Normal rather than the default of Print and/or
paper size to Legal in File > Page Setup > [Paper] tab, or even setting it
to a wider/higher size than the default legal of 8.5" and 14", will also
help eliminate extraneous soft page breaks. Upon adjusting paper size, if
you get a dialog box alerting you that the margins have become too wide for
printing, you can just activate the Ignore button. The Bookshare conversion
software uses only the hard page breaks when creating page number navigation
in the DAISY files or inserting the Braille page breaks with appropriate
numbering in the BRF files, but having the soft page breaks eliminated and
having Word reflect the true count of pages does make life easier.

HTH,
Maria
Skype: MariaKristic
AIM: MCKristic