[bksvol-discuss] Re: Out Sourcers

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 15:39:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Chela,

None of the outsourcers volunteer for Bookshare. They are all paid for their
work. That being said, the companies that proof for us were chosen not only
because they did a good job proofing books, but also because they each have a
social mission, just as Bookshare does. Worth Trust in India, for example,
hires physically disabled people, teaches them computer skills including how to
proofread books, requires them to stay some months as proofreaders, and then
helps them find jobs with their newfound skills. So while we help the Worth
Trust by paying them to proof books, they help a disadvantaged group gain
employment, and they help us by proofing hundreds of books each month. Everyone
scratches everyone else's back.
The other outsourcers are Daproim in Africa; Digital Divide Data with offices
in Laos, Cambodia and India; and TransAccess in San Jose, about a half hour
drive from here.

HTH, Carrie