[bksvol-discuss] Re: Open Book Question

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 19:57:06 -0400

Hi, Lori. I don't think the scanning engine is the cause. I didn't
notice any difference when I used Omnipage. What I did notice is that
Kurzweil 10 used the same version of the Finereader engine as
Openbook, but it didn't insert the extra paragraph breaks. At one
point, I had Openbook 7.02 and Kurzweil 10 on the same machine. I did
a lot of comparison scans to see if I could figure out some things
that were a mystery in Openbook. I have a theory that I cannot prove
conclusively. I think Openbook is missing some sort of programming
that checks for extra paragraph lines. So when they happen, and it's
not a consistent thing, there is no way for the program to
automatically fix the problem. Openbook isn't documented very well,
and the Freedom Scientific knowledge base isn't very helpful in
understanding how the program works internally. These are some of the
reasons I stopped using Openbook as my main scanning software. I'm not
suggesting that you switch. I just wanted you to know that my decision
to switch to Kurzweil was made slowly and after some reluctance.
Openbook could be great software again with a little more attention to
detail and a lot more attention to documentation. I wish I had
something more useful to offer you. You and Mike do a fantastic job
with your scans, and validating them is a pleasure for me. (smile)

--
Monica Willyard