[bksvol-discuss] Re: Ooh! I've run into trouble submitting!

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:43:39 -0500

Hi Kathy. You may already have an answer to this. I think we're supposed to
just upload rtf files now without zipping them. I think that's true, but the
staff would know best.

Also, are you scanning with Kurzweil? I'm asking because we used to have a
bug where rtf files needed to be saved in Word or WordPad to fix the rtf
header. So basically you open the file in Word, press the enter key, press
backspace, and then press control s to save the file. That fixes its header
for Bookshare. If you own it, Word is the best program to use. If not,
WordPad will save a file from Kurzweil correctly. It retains page breaks.
The only time you can't use WordPad on an rtf file is if you use another
scanning program that uses section breaks instead of page breaks. That's not
your issue if you're using Kurzweil though. I do this fix on all of my rtf
files made by Kurzweil since I don't feel like trying to upload them only to
find that I need to fix some of them.

I hope this helps you instead of causing any confusion. If I say anything
contrary to the staff, please listen to the staff because they know how
things work better than I do. (smile)

Monica Willyard

  _____