[bksvol-discuss] One Big Dictionary Or a Bunch of Little Ones?

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 04:41:10 -0700

A while back, I think it was Gerald who said that he uses several dictionaries
in K1000 for rank spelling? for different types of books?  Sorry, Gerald, if it
wasn't you.  I didn't have K1000 at the time, so wasn't paying attention to
that subject.

My question is what are the pros and cons of having everything in one
dictionary?  How big can it get before things start to slow down?  If you, or
anyone else here, uses a bunch of little ones, don't you have to keep putting
many of the same words in each one in addition to the specialized terms it
doesn't know, such as words that aren't in the dictionary but are not
specialized terms, including those that are in the default dictionary, or
proper names?  Or do you just leave proper names out and ignore them when they
come up?  If so, certain common ones may keep showing up.  I'm not very
familiar with this part of the program yet.  Can I use more than one dictionary
at once, so I don't have to keep adding certain things to each one?  If so, why
not just use one big one?  If I can only use one dictionary at a time, don't I
have to basically recreate the default dictionary to avoid all the words that
would have been covered by the default dictionary?  We're back to one big one
again.

As you can see, I am leaning more toward throwing everything into one large
dictionary if I can do it without bogging down my system.  What are the
thoughts here?  I read a lot of science fiction and fantasy, so the number of
added words could get large pretty quickly.  The first book I scanned with
K1000 had hundreds, and I am not kidding, or exaggerating!