[bksvol-discuss] Re: Old books

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:23:52 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks, Shelley--but I really don't want to buy it.

That's interesting, though. I have the 1945 edition of
SInclair Lewis' Cass Timberlane which I'm using to
validate Susan's scan. I'm pretty sure it's a first
edition, and except for the paper, which is *very*
thin and fragile, it's in excellent condition -- even
had the dust jacket, although  that torn here and
there -- but complete. I was curious to see if it's
worth anything. One place had it for $20 in good
condition --some other places only for $2.95 -- also
good.

I find these books published during the war
interesting-- the paper is very thin and the print
very small, so as, I assume, to use the least amount
of paper. And they all have the note "This is a
Warttime book ...every effort had been made to comply
with the Government's request to conserve essential
materials."  Most of you are too young to remember
rationing and paper drives and money collected in
school during homeroom for war bonds, but notes like
that in front of books bring back memories. I'm
surprised books and magazines were published at all.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs