[bksvol-discuss] Re: Old FR Discussion

  • From: "Tiffany H. Jessen" <tjessen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 16:31:31 -0400

I'm sorry, I got this message at work yesterday and rather than forwarding it
home for later I left it here until I could get back to it. That time
apparently didn't happen for a while. I tried to write this clear, but who
knows what people'll think. Maybe Jake could put it up on his site, or at least
some better variation of it.

I honestly don't know what is causing your problem with the blank page and odd
columns in the other. In fact I am fortunate enough not to have even seen this
before. I however, may not be using the same version of Kurzweil as you.
Depending on which computer I am using, I still only use version eight and
nine.
  Now, as that you said rescanning it usually produces better results, there is
a way to rerecognize a page without physically rescanning it. This is good
because you can put Kurzweil in continuous scanning mode and scan a whole
cluster of  pages, then later when you are cleaning up the scanning errors you
don't have to keep counting and flipping pages forward and backwards to find
the page which needs to be fixed.
  To do this you have to first make sure Kurzweil is set to keep images.
  Do this by going into the settings menu with alt T, then arrow down and enter
on general, or activate it directly with the letter g. A dialogue box will
open, so tab a few times until you hear the word images, followed by a few
words of some kind. On this computer I have Kurzweil version nine, and the
number of times I need to tab is four. What it says after the word images is
dependant on what setting you have it set on. Pushing space will cycle between
the three settings, enabled, disabled, or poorly recognized. enabled keeps the
images, disabled leaves them out, and poorly recognized only leaves the ones
which it thinks are poorly recognized. I usually prefer to keep them just in
case I need them later. Note: when it is set to keep the images, this is just
kept somewhere in the background or something, and say if you scanned a
children's book with pictures, those images will not appear in your document.
Once you have enabled the setting, of course tab to the ok button and push
space.
  Now, You don't have to, but what I did was save the settings so that I don't
have to reenable them each time I go to scan something new.
  Now you scan your books as usual, and if at some point you want to
rerecognize a page, go to the scan menu with alt s, then arrow down and push
enter on rerecognize page, or use the letter c.
  That is all there is to the process, however I do have a few additional
thoughts.
  First, if you save the file in any format other than .kes, the images again
are stripped, or at least they are unavailable to rerecognize pages with.
  As that .kes has other advantages like remembering where you left off
reading, I usually like to save it in .kes first, then I can spend as many days
I want rerecognizing and editing the book without having to search for my
place. Later, if I want to submit it to bookshare I save it as a .rtf so that
more validaters are able to access it.
  This now of course means there are two copies of the same book saved (one in
each of two formats), so later I go back and delete one of the copies.
  Hopefully this is clear. If you have any other questions or need further
explination feel free to ask.
  Tiff