[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT-Sort of Benetech in Guatamala

  • From: "siss52" <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 15:39:46 -0500

Sounds weird.

Sue S.

----- Original Message -----
From: Amy Goldring Tajalli
To: Bksvol-discuss
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 1:25 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] OT-Sort of Benetech in Guatamala

Friends,

There is a new form of an old program on PBS on Tuesday Nights: Frontline
World and This past Tuesday included a segment on the work Jim Fructerman
and Benetech have been doing with helping turning 60 to 80 million pages
into a usable archive that can explain what happened to an unnumbered group
of "disappeared people" are called desaparecidos  and executed persons the
documentation of which had been missing until recently. And there are many
people who would like it to disappear again along with the people working on
it.

The interview with Jim is available at:
http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stories/guatemala704/interview/fruchterman.html

The full story is available at:
http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stories/guatemala704/
with the pictures that lead to each segment beginning with Guatemala's
history of Violation of Human Rights. Jim explains why and how they were
able to get the funding of a project that is reminiscent of the Archives of
the Nazi documentation of the Holocaust [my comparison]..

I found it mind boggling but the work that is being done will enable
millions of people to find out what happened to their loved ones and for the
Guatemalan Government and  Human Rights Commissions to find justice for the
desaparecidos.  Forgive me for an inadequate description of what you will
find on these pages and the sections of the program itself. It is an amazing
thing that Benetech is doing and will make an enormous difference to
Guatemala and the world.

Amy
omsm