[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: term papers typed on typewriters

  • From: Cindy Rosenthal <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:56:27 -0800 (PST)

Ah, yes--all of those annoyances. And when we had the
two-colored typewriter, especially if one half was
white or for stencils, putting it in the wrong way and
having to change it again.

The same problem, getting ink on the fingers from the
ribbon, occurred when I was working at the middle
school and had to change the ribbon in the printer.
That was 6 years ago. I wonder if there have been any
advancements since then. I always felt that there was
an advantage in not knowing how to do something and
having to ask someone else to do it; unfortunately I
was usually the someone else.

Cindy
--- talmage@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> How about the fun of changing a typewriter ribbon,
> carbon paper,
> typing the mimeograph masters, trying to use a type
> eraser so it
> didn't look abused, and typing on onion-skin paper.
>
> Dave
>
> At 05:32 AM 1/14/2009, you wrote:
> >Typing a erm paper--or trying to--on a typewrite is
> >e double toothpicks--or was in the days before
> there
> >was white-out or electric typewriters or the tape
> you
> >can tape over, mainly because the pages had to be
> >perfect. If you made a mistake, you had to do the
> page
> >over. If you were a perfect typist, which I was
> not,
> >it probably wasn't bad, except of course it was a
> much
> >slower process, so if you weren't organized and
> doing
> >things on time....I well remember one January when
> >was a junior in college. We were on a semester
> system,
> >and I had at least two research papers due. I had
> >planned to do them over Christmas vacation, but you
> >know how such plans can go awry. Fortunately, my
> >roommate was a dear, and a much better typist than
> I,
> >and I did have the papers written--I think. As I
> >recall, she typed one while I either typed the
> other
> >or finished writing it and then I typed it later.
> >We're talking a little over 50 years ago, so I
> don't
> >remember the exact details--just that I was
> panicked,
> >we were both up all night--what else was new--and
> she
> >was a dear friend to do that for me. I keep
> thinking
> >there were 3 papers do, though not all on the exact
> >day, and thankfully they got done.
> >
> >We got our first computer when my daughters were in
> >junior high, and I was so happy for them. However,
> >even a computer won't help if one is not smart
> enough
> >to back up frequently and accidentally deletes the
> >paper; you'd think that once that happened a person
> >would learn, especially an extremely bright person,
> >but no--i happened to one daughter at least twice,
> if
> >not three times.
> >
> >Cindy
> >--- Julia <julia.kulak@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Ok, so I'm a computer brat, and sometimes I
> wonder
> > > what it's like to type a
> > > whole term paper on a typewriter. I remember
> when I
> > > discovered one in one of
> > > my classrooms, I thought it was so neat. I
> > > immediately began writing a story
> > > on it.
> > > Julia

AT