[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: remembering

  • From: Cindy Rosenthal <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:01:12 -0800 (PST)

Oh, those March of Time newsreels--or maybe they
weren't those specifically, but they were
newsreels--really brought the war home, so to spealk..
I will never forget the pictures of refugees on the
road going---where? Ten years later when the Cold War
seemed to be heating up, I used to try to think of
where I could go, what route to take, if we were
attacked. Also, in the 50's jets came into being. I
cringed every time I heard one because the sound was
so much like that of bombs falling. shiver.

Cindy
--- talmage@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> [...]
> > > Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
> > > Using hand signals for cars without turn
> signals.
> > >
> > > Older Than Dirt Quiz :
> > >
> > > Count all the ones that you remember not the
> ones
> > > you were told about
> > >
> > > Ratings at the bottom.
> > >
> > > 1 Blackjack chewing gum
> > > 2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar
> water
> > > 3. Candy cigarettes
> > > 4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass
> bottles
> > > 5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke
> boxes
> > > 6 . Home milk delivery in glass bottles with
> > > cardboard stoppers
> > > 7. Party lines on the telephone
> > > 8. Newsreels before the movie
> > > 9. P.F. Flyers
> > > 10. Butch wax
> > > 11. TV test patterns that came on at night after
> the
> > > last show and were
> > > there until TV shows started again in the
> morning.
> > > (there were only 3
> > > channels [if you were fortunate])
> > > 12. Peashooters
> > > 13. Howdy Doody
> > > 14. 45 RPM records
> > > 15. S& H greenstamps
> > > 16 Hi-fi's
> > > 17. Metal ice trays with lever
> > > 18. Mimeograph paper
> > > 19 Blue flashbulb
> > > 20. Packards
> > > 21. Roller skate keys
> > > 22. Cork popguns
> > > 23. Drive-ins
> > > 24. Studebakers
> > > 25. Wash tub wringers
> > >
> > > If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
> > > If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
> > > If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
> > > If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than
> dirt!
> > >
> >  This list doesn't mention the cream on the top of
> the
> >bottle of milk. I hated that and Dad syphoned it
> off
> >for me. Personally, I never saw a peashooter, I
> don't
> >know what Butch Wax is, and I didn't have or see a
> >wringer washing machine until I rented a house that
> >had one in it.
> >
> >This person is younger than I. We never had a TV
> set
> >until my parents got one when I was in college. And
> >before there were 45's there were 78s (records).
> > >

> >WISH LIST (CALLED REQUESTED ADDITIONS TO THE
> BOOKSHARE COLLECTION)IS
> >AVAILABLE AT
>
>http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/wish_list/wish_list.htm
> >www.lljfm.net/bookshare/home.htm
> >
> >A LIST OF BOOKS CURRENTLY BEING SCANNED IS
> AVAILABLE AT
> >http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/
> >www.lljfm.net/bookshare/home.htm

> >bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> line.  To get a
> >list of available commands, put the word 'help' by

AT