[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: massage therapy

  • From: "Colleen Edwards" <scenter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 13:13:58 -0700

Hi Chela

I do not know much about that school.

I took classes and graduated from New School of Massage in Sebastapol,
California in the late 70s and 1980s. The classes were taught in Marin
County. My movement therapy coursework was done at Dominican College (now
Dominican University) in San Rafael, so I received credit for those courses
for my massage licensure / certification.

I worked in massage for five years. I stopped because of the long terms
effects of a severe car accident I was in. I cannot lift patients without a
Hoyer lift, so it limites me vocationally.

I still do some Reiki Level 1, 11 and 111 work but that is not physically
demanding like Swedish massage is.

It is a physically, emotionally and mentally demanding profession and the
course work is difficult. But it is possible for blind and visually impaired
persons to do, as long as you have good transportation to your clients or
work. Take as many courses as you can to prepare yourself before you go for
your studies. You will find your certification intense, so look at your
state certificaton requirements (Washington and California) are very strict.

It is a good profession to work in. Make sure if you are self employeed or
employeed you will have worksman compenstaton and other coverage for medical
and re-education training (if you cannot heal up) in case you are hurt on
the job or outside of work. You will also need good medical coverage while
you are school and before your employer or self employment coverage kicks
in.

Let me know what books you need. Write me on or off list.

Colleen Edwards

Colleen Edwards
3377 Bethel Road SE, Suite 107, PMB 334
Port Orchard WA 98366
253 857 7943
FAX 253 203 6233
email: scenter@xxxxxxxxxx

disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return
email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.