[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: heavy books

  • From: juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 00:03:46 -0500 (EST)

kids that learn Braille usually start at the same time that other kiddos are
learning Print.  Because, they are learning to read just as the other kiddos
are.

Smile.

Indeed some disorders can be hereditary.  Mine is.  I have Retinitis
Pigmentosa, and we don't know which form it is.  The only major concern for
the family right now, is to watch my brothers and make sure they get regular
eye check ups, and of course if I get married and plan to have kiddos of my
own, I need to be tested and so will my husband to see if he is a carrier of
the genetic traits for RP.  If he does, then we might have up to a 75
percent chance of having a child with RP, and will have an almost 100%
chance of a kid who is a "carrier".

It is pretty likely that both my brothers are carriers of the trait too.
But so far they don't appear to have it.

Course RP usually shows up in your forties, so perhaps.

If it is recessive, then it could have easily passed to them too.

Things to think about.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council