[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT finally getting the new notebook

  • From: "Kaitlyn Hill" <Kaitlyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 19:58:27 -0800

HI Mike,

Here is what went into my decision on the TX650. A year ago when I started
on BookShare I began to realize how much out there I desired to read and how
much time I had in a day to do it. I work a 40 hour week along with my
dragon boating, plus the day to day things. Then I looked at I have about 90
minutes of commute time a day, every other weekend sleep study stays, plus
other down time between work and paddling I was looking for a way to use
that time better. Coming from a somewhat non-adaptive background I put out
on the list what was available for portable reading devices. It spend from
things like the book currier to the Pack mate, to a more full featured ultra
light notebook.

The book currier gave me the ability to read, which it did for a good price.
Pros reading, cons transferring data for use.

The Pack mate was a serious consideration with the jury coming in about 50,
50. It definitely had the battery life and weight as a big plus but a
slimmed down OS for reading, editing, email and other tasked that can be
done on a notebook. These were all things I felt were things that would be
nice to do with a portable.  At a price of $2,000 I was looking at the price
of a notebook that could run a standard WinXP OS and all the software I was
already using.

Then the search began.... Yes the battery life and weight of the Currier and
Pack mate were real pluses and nagged in the background. My goal then was to
see if I could get a notebook with a weight under three pounds with a
battery life that could get me through a full day without charging. The
Toshiba Lifebook and the Fujitsu both came in slightly lighter than the Sony
but the Fujitsu was designed to use the tablet OS and the Toshiba could run
WinXP but it wasn't suggested by all the reviews I read. Both came in
lighter to by leaving off things that the Sony had such as CDrom or basic
ports. Even with the lighter weight and the tablet Os they were only coming
in about 4 plus hours on the battery, still not what I would consider a busy
day of use. Both did have a smaller foot print than the Sony but with the
Sony coming in at 10.7 by 7.7 its size was acceptable. Then considering I
would be the one using it the screen size was a non issue.

One other consideration was the Dell XL1 coming in at just over three pounds
but I kind of had a thing against Dell after spending 13 hours on the phone
with them to get a harddrive replaced in my Dell 9100 which is my main home
computer now. A definite powerhouse for a notebook to be used around the
house with a P4 at 3.0 GHZ, 15 inch screen, nice sound and good expandtion
ports. I do like it as a notebook and it will continue to be my main home
computer.

As I read reviews and looked at specs of the Sony TX series these were
things that finally sold me on this notebook. Battery life, they have done a
lot to run this computer as a power conserving toy:) From power settings to
turning off power to the Cd/DVD, Either net, modem, screen resolution, to
the option to play cd's and DVD's without booting up the OS, to the ability
to bring the processor down to half power all the reviews say the 6 to 7
hours of battery life are very realistic. Take these features along with a
Cingular sim to connect to the net to me it is a very high end PDA on
steroids that I can run JAWS and K1000 on.

Ounce for ounce it is the nicest totally mobile notebook out there right
now, in my humble opinion.  When I bought my Dell a couple of years ago I
wasn't looking for the features I was now. It is a high powered full
featured notebook which does a great job. I don't know where you are in the
country but I bought the Dell through Costco and saved about $400 over what
I could have bought it from Dell.com.

You are very correct that choosing a notebook can be a personal decision. I
will have it tomorrow so will give a report in a month or so on how well it
lives up to its reputation. I did finally get it for $1,965 which is $235
less than the price on the Sony site. The extra memory in some of the other
models may have been nice but having the 512 on the motherboard gives better
power consumption than adding a 512 through the one memory expantion slot. I
may do it later but want to run it through it's paces first.

Okay, LOL :) I have done more research on this purchase than any computer
gear I have ever purchase and this may be more than you wanted to know:)

Katie Hill
Reconnection and Reiki energy healing
Get your personal numerology reading
Kaitlyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx