[bksvol-discuss] O.T Winston Churchill

  • From: "Kasondra Payne" <Kassyp36@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:29:41 -0600

Amy,

Your recent questions have made me reflect on my experiences with this great
world leader.  In my sophomore year of high school, my English teacher
assigned each of us to do a paper on a  biography of someone famous.  When
we went to the library many of my classmates chose books about actors or
athletes.  I wanted to read a biography of someone really important.  My
boyfriend was a distant cousin of Winston Churchill, so that's who I chose.

My teacher helped me get the first volume of The Last Lion by William
Manchester.  This was a huge 883 page book that covers Churchill's life
until 1932.  I called RFB&D, and I waited.  It took me six weeks to read
that book on tape.  I had other homework and responsibilities.  I wrote the
paper and got an A.  I learned a lot about this great man, and I think I do
remember some mention of depression in both him and his father.  I don't
remember the delusions, but it has been fourteen years since I read that
book.

Well, I married that boyfriend, and now I can teach my children about their
famous relative.  I have also learned much about the branch of the Churchill
family that came to America around the turn of the twentieth century.  They
have a large farm in Wisconsin which may still be owned by a member of the
family.

If I had bookshare, my modern computer, and my bookport in high school, I
would have been able to read that and other books much faster.  It would
have made studying easier.  However, I made it through with what I had back
then, and I will do so now with the newer technology.  I am also thankful to
that English teacher for turning me on to scholarly books.  I have been able
to get so many of them from bookshare.  It is great!

Kasondra Payne