[bksvol-discuss] OT: Web-Braille Status

  • From: "Tracy Carcione" <carcione@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 15:02:06 -0400 (EDT)

I'm pasting below a letter from Marc Maurer, president of the nFB,
regarding the status of Web-Braille.
Tracy

to: members of the north America/Caribbean region of the world blind union

Dear Colleagues:

Last Thursday, I received information telling me that Web-Braille, part
of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Books for the Blind Program, was being taken offline.  As I was
traveling, it took me a little time to seek out information regarding
this action.  The Web-Braille program is one that was created by the
library as an innovative example of ways to distribute Braille materials
to library patrons, and I know that officials in the library are very
proud of the program.  From what I know of Web-Braille, I understand why
those in the library are proud of it, and I applaud the forward thinking
of library staff and officials who created this most unusual book
distribution system.

With this background, I felt certain that there was an explanation for
taking the program offline.  I have today talked with Mr. Cylke, the
director of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically
Handicapped.  He has assured me that the program will be reinstated
within a reasonably short time?certainly within the next ten business
days.   The reason the program has been taken offline is that technical
corrections and repairs are required to insure the continued excellent
performance and viability of the program.  Mr. Cylke assured me that the
delay in reinstatement will be as brief as possible.  I provide this
information to you so that you will have the most up-to-date facts on
the matter.  As I receive additional data, I will be forwarding them to
you.  It may be that the Web-Braille site will be back online before I
get the opportunity again to write.

Cordially,

Marc Maurer, President
National Federation of the Blind