[bksvol-discuss] OT: Term Papers (was Re: Books Without Page Numbers)

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 22:42:29 -0400

Lori, I had a blast doing the Agatha Christie paper. I had a British lit
teacher who believed it's better to work with a student's interests than to
limit study to a narrow list of acceptable authors. She let me dress up like
a character from The Canterbury Tales and let me recite the introduction in
Middle English to our class because the changes in the course of English
dialects fascinated me. She made that my final exam for the class. She also
gave me the freedom to work on writing about the works of Dickens, Christie,
and the Bronte sisters for various projects. I think I learned more in that
class than in most of my other classes put together. I had to learn some
basic French words to understand Hercule Poirot, had to learn about
geography and architecture while reading Wuthering Heights, and learned so
much about society and human nature from reading Jane Eyre and David
Copperfield. My term papers left me feeling curious, excited, and hungry for
more so that I continued reading and learning long after my class had ended.

While I liked to be creative in this way, the boy sitting next to me was shy
and wasn't comfortable writing. One of his projects was to build a replica
of the castle in Macbeth. I don't think he enjoyed his term papers, but this
teacher went out of her way to encourage him to build, draw, or use diagrams
to explain what he was learning. This guy wanted to build houses once he
finished school, and it was all he talked about. Building the castle seemed
to flip a switch with him so that he was one of the first students to go to
class. I'm pretty sure he still remembers Macbeth. He got his first A in an
English class, and I thought he was going to burst from excitement. (smile)
His model castle was elaborately detailed, and that's how I know what a
tower looks like. To me, that's the mark of an excellent teacher. Getting a
student curious enough to want to learn independently is a talent that few
of my teachers chose to develop.

Monica Willyard