[bksvol-discuss] OT: Sing-A-Long "Grease"

  • From: "liz halperin" <lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 00:37:38 -0800

What a hoot! Many of audience in costume, which my friend described to me. I
wasn't able to see the lyrics scrolling by, but remembered about half of the
songs. When we went in, we were handed a small bag of props to use during
certain scenes. A woman in an old formal dress went up and explained the
process, props, what to use when, various things and did some practice
signing with us.  She also explained about "chair-ography." Like
choreography for dancers. But when doing the hand jive and a few other
movements we had to keep them small or we'd jab the people beside us. So we
have several run throughs of "chair-ography." Young John Travolta. It was
obvious where Saturday Night Fever started here first. And some of the
names... One of the song writers was Barry Gibb of the BeeGees, we were
easily able to identify which songs. On one song, the lead guitarist was
peter Frampton. Sid Caesar was the then-younger athletic coach. He showed up
in Seattle when the musical Hairspray was being developed before going to
Broadway. There was Eve Arden as school principal, and friend and I were
racking our brains for title of TV show she'd been in. We knew our moms
would know, even through the dementia both suffer. But finally my friend
remembered "Our Miss Brooks," and she was a secretary. It was a very early
version of "Mary Tyler Moore" show or Marlo Thomas in "That Girl." Funny
that now John Travolta is in movie "Hairspray."  Now I want the sing-a-long
version of "The Sound of Music" to return. That was even more fun!

Liz, hoarse from singing along, off-key as usual

Liz Halperin
Portland, OR
lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx