[bksvol-discuss] OT: Prison Library Project needs books

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 23:23:37 -0700 (PDT)

Anonymous Friend (henceforth to be known as A.F.)
thought this might be of interest to some of you who
might like to donate books you've scanned and no
longer want that are in "fine" condition. The
paragraph below is taken from the site. At the site is
a long list of books wanted and also, as this says,
books Not Acceptable by the S.C. Prison System. I'm
assuming S.C. is South Carolina. Note that postage
might be refunded or if you choose not to ask for that
you can deduct it as a charitable contribution. I'm
pretty sure that if you can deduct the postage you can
also deduct the value of the books you are donating. I
know books donated to our library's used-book store
(Friends of the Library) are tax-deductable.

Cindy

http://www.seniornet.org/php/default.php?PageID=7633

Books Wanted for the Prison Library Project
Books must be in fine condition. The condition of the
book is of great importance, please check with us if
you have any question about the condition of your
books.
Please email gvinesc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx for the mailing
address. Please ship Media Rate. Postage may be
refunded for qualified books (please check with us in
advance) or you can donate it with our thanks; that
will be considered a cash donation. Please take the
time to include a list (with title of book and author)
with each shipment. Before shipping books not on the
list, post their titles and authors in our Prison
Library Project discussion so they can be checked with
the librarians.
Please see policy at the bottom of this list of
desired materials of what is NOT accepted by the S.C.
Prison System.

At the bottom of the lists is this statement:  The
reading level of many of the prisoners is quite low;
however, books for children are not desirable.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs