[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: IPODs

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:46:08 -0500

Hi, Lora. Please don't take this as gospel, but I don't think the video features on the new IPods are accessible to us via Rockbox. I attended a demonstration recently and was disappointed at the limited functionality of the IPod they used compared to what I can do with an Olympus or with my older Samsung player. I do understand your wanting to watch TV shows. The problem is that Rockbox only works with certain older models of the IPod. You cannot buy these older models in most stores now and have to order them through places like Amazon and Ebay. Also, I don't know if Brian Hartgen's ITunes scripts work with the later versions of ITunes either, the version that supports DRM-free tracks and TV shows. You have to buy Brian's scripts to make ITunes work with Jaws, and they cost $60. They only work with a specific version of ITunes that is about a year old or so. These are the reasons I chose not to buy an IPod. Please check them out with the Rockbox users and Brian Hartgen's website for complete details. If I am wrong, will you please set me straight? Maybe they have made some major advances since the demonstration I saw two months ago. You probably have more money to work with too and might not mind paying $60 for the scripts. Brian deserves to be paid for his work. I just don't like paying that much to access software that sighted people can use for free. So I choose to use Rhapsody to get legal music because I can use it without any special scripts. I guess either path has some drawbacks. Please explore your options and don't take what I say as absolute. It's just my opinion, and you may find newer information that will help you make up your mind.

Monica Willyard

Lora wrote:
Thanks, Monica. I'd love to take a peek at the Olympus. It's one of many reasons I brought this question to the list; I was hoping someone would have insight into other options. One of the nice things with the IPODs, though, is that they'll play video, too. Now I don't need the video, but if I'm trying to watch a TV show, the two sort of go together. <Smile>

 I'll go take a peek at the Olympus, though.