[bksvol-discuss] OT: Harvard Sq.

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:50:07 -0400

Hi,

We're in our New England dwelling where we will remain until October.  This
will put me in Harvard Square, Cambridge, the intellectual capital of the US
if not the world on a near daily basis.

Due to its huge number of people who enjoy reading books, the square is
loaded with used book stores that sell (except for the real antiques) books
very inexpensively and, in one place, by the pound (the measure of weight,
not the British currency).  So, if anyone has a book they'd like to read,
please write to me off-line with the title, author, category, etc. and I'll
see if I can find it.

Nobody needs to worry about the cost of the books (unless I get a list
that's really enormous) as most of them sell for fifty cents or so.  If you
have me hunting for a lot of books, you can buy me a sandwich (roast beef on
a hard sub roll with onions, fresh tomatoes and horseradish sauce) and an
IBC root beer at some time when we meet in person.

The books one can find in these basement stores tend to range from serious
literati stuff to real "hard" science to a ton of science fiction (there's
even a used sci-fi store I can go to if I cross the river into Boston) to
fairly common place fiction to non-fiction and often a surprise here and
there.  There tends to be little in terms of trade romances and a few other
categories but, as I said, almost anything, even those that cause surprises,
will show up where you least expect them.

Happy hacking,
cdh