[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT Computer Hell

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 08:52:37 -0500

Gary,

Not knowing all the ins-and-outs of what's going on with your setup, and what you've done to date, it sounds like you're going in the wrong direction looking at new systems. As someone else said already, we don't really have enough info to provide suggestions. You mentioned that both systems had new hard drives installed, does that mean they reinstalled Windows as well? Are they both XP systems? Is it an ethernet, wireless, etc. network? Do both systems appear to work fine in dependant of the network? You may have answered some of these questions previously, but if so, I missed them. If you buy a new system, you still won't have a network, so it doesn't seem like you're moving ahead. I think it was Judy who offered help, if you want additional assistance feel free to contact me directly. In the past I've probably setup 20 or 30 networks, including Macs, MS-DOS, Linux, and Windows systems of various flavors.
It's difficult to problem-solve remotely, but not impossible.

Dave

At 12:04 AM 1/3/2009, you wrote:
Glad to know. I'm not sure I understand my feelings. Both machines had to have hard drives replaced. The networking went in working and came out not working and I feel as if the machines let me down, not whoever worked on them. Ah well, I'm trying to be philosophical about it, and not succeeding very well.