[bksvol-discuss] Re: OCR software

  • From: Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:36:50 -0700

Valerie, she isn't. I'm responding specifically to your question,
because, truthfully, although there were a number of responses, I
didn't really see any that answered it.

I asked if u were sighted because I don't think I'd make these
recommendations if u weren't. However, TextBridge from Nuance is a
reasonably priced, reasonably good OCR program. I'm not certain of
this, but I believe there may be a free trial u can download. Either
google it up or go to the nuance website. I really don't have that
address. It used to be scansoft.com & even when the name changed u
could still get there from that address. I don't know if that's still
applicable. If u have trouble, let me know & I'll provide more info as
I can.

Also, since u obviously already have a scanner, often an OCR comes
bundled w/it. They're not the best, but they do work, & w/u being
sighted & therefore able to look at the picture vs. what was
recognized & make corrections, accuracy may not be as critical a
component as it is if u were blind. I'm not sayin they're terrible &
that you'd have to correct every word--that'd be a pita. Usually,
they're a trimmed-down version of a program already out there like
ReadIris, FineReader, OmniPage, TextBridge, etc. Their lack of
accessibility to the blind tends to be pretty noteworthy, which again
was the reason I needed confirmation that what I thought was true,
e.g., that u are sighted, in fact was accurate.

We enjoy having u & Doug on list, we welcome u heartily, & hope that u
find both fulfillment & satisfaction in a job well done as well as
just a lot of good books to enjoy.

Blessings for your week.

On 8/17/09, Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes, Jackie, Doug and I are sighted, just disabled.  Another person asked
> about Kurzweil, though, and I am thinking she is not.
>
> Take care!
>
> Valerie
>
> Please pray for Doug's Dad & visit his website:
>
> http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/billkoonce

Change the world--1 deed at a time
Jackie McBride
Check out my homepage at: