[bksvol-discuss] Re: O T Obtaining cartridges from APH to be used in NLS player.

  • From: Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:34:37 -0700

I've read that many folks have problemos w/8gb flash drives, & the
recommendation is that 4gb is the largest size that works relatively
reliably. Note the word relatively lol.

Interestingly, I'm using a USB card reader & a 4gb sd card & thus far
it has worked very well lol. I didn't think the standard player had a
USB connection? I just requested a player from my library--didn't know
about standard or advanced--& they sent me an advanced 1 lol. I guess
when I started talkin' about downloading stuff from the internet,
etc., they figured they may as well (or probably had better if they
didn't want a complaining patron) lol.

On 2/11/10, Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> <smiling>  NLS may very well fix their code when it comes to the thumb
> drives.  However, you're somewhat short-sighted when it comes to the
> reasons for the cartridge.  Those of us who have been working with the
> NLS program for the past three and some years understand that the
> cartridge was designed in order to benefit all patrons of NLS,
> especially those who are elders, have fine motor coordination problems
> and so on.  NLS serves many patrons who manipulate their cartridges
> with mouth sticks or with gnarled and arthritic hands.  They can't deal
> with something as narrow as a thumb drive or as small and thin as an SD
> card.
>
> As to why your thumb drive doesn't work, is it U3 compatible?  Those do
> not work well at all.  I think there's somebody making a list of what
> does indeed work somewhere, but I don't know who or where it might be.
>
> Ann P.
>
> --
> Ann K. Parsons
> Portal Tutoring
> EMAIL:  akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> web site:  http://www.portaltutoring.info
> blog:
> http://www.samobile.net/users/akp/blog
> Skype: Putertutor
>
> "All that is gold does not glitter,
> Not all those who wander are lost."

Change the world--1 deed at a time
Jackie McBride
www.abletec.serverheaven.net
Please join me Saturday, 11/7, on my walk against breast cancer by
making a donation at:
http://main.acsevents.org/goto/larkspur>