[bksvol-discuss] Re: O T Obtaining cartridges from APH to be used in NLS player.

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jjs78660@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:22:35 -0500

Hi all,

<smiling> NLS may very well fix their code when it comes to the thumb drives. However, you're somewhat short-sighted when it comes to the reasons for the cartridge. Those of us who have been working with the NLS program for the past three and some years understand that the cartridge was designed in order to benefit all patrons of NLS, especially those who are elders, have fine motor coordination problems and so on. NLS serves many patrons who manipulate their cartridges with mouth sticks or with gnarled and arthritic hands. They can't deal with something as narrow as a thumb drive or as small and thin as an SD card.

As to why your thumb drive doesn't work, is it U3 compatible? Those do not work well at all. I think there's somebody making a list of what does indeed work somewhere, but I don't know who or where it might be.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring