[bksvol-discuss] Re: Next Phase Launched - The Bookshare Image Description Project

  • From: "Larry Lumpkin" <llumpkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:36:01 -0500

This one worked fine.

From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Rains
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2011 11:22 AM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Next Phase Launched - The Bookshare Image
Description Project

Larry,

I anticipated your email but was an hour's drive away from another computer
which, hopefully, allows my message to come through ungarbled. Let's see
what Outlook running on a MacBook does to the message!

Scott

Volunteers,

After two weeks meeting with disability groups in Brazil and the Caribbean I
was able to come back to Bookshare and smoothly  launch the next test of our
Image Description Tool. Thanks to the work of our engineers, other staff,
and volunteers this phase is built around a redesigned tool.

For those who have not seen it in action the link below will take you to the
tool preloaded with a public domain book in DAISY with Images format:

https://diagram.herokuapp.com/daisy_book/edit?book_uid=en-us-20100820101543

I know that some who have been doing this work already are eager to learn
the details of working with the new interface. The public version of those
details were posted here on the DIAGRAM site yesterday:

http://diagramcenter.org/index.php?option=com_content
<http://diagramcenter.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=42&It
emid=45> &view=article&id=42&Itemid=45

Right now we have need for two types of volunteers in this order.

First, we need volunteers to go through the first 50 books we have loaded on
the Image Description Server. The task is to mark each image in the lefthand
column as Yes or No regarding "Should be described." The criteria is whether
or not the image has educational content in the context of the surrounding
text or whether it is just "eye candy" marking a section break or adding
visual appeal.

Then, we need volunteers to pass through the streamlined books to describe
the remaining images concisely and accurately. Training materials are
available as separate documents and the tool itself contains a valuable set
of Help Files also.

If you want to join in for an image, or a chapter, or a whole book just
contact me. I will assign you a priority item to tackle!

Scott Rains

scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx%04>

From: Larry Lumpkin <llumpkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 07:46:11 -0700