[bksvol-discuss] Next Meeting of the Science Fiction Club, Thursday, February 9, 2012

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <scifi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:06:27 -0500

Hello Folks,

We had a good turnout for our first meeting of 2012, and most of us liked the
book we read, Against Infinity by Gregory Benford. For this month, we're
reading a tale of adventure in the distant future with a crew retrieving
artifacts from ancient starships. For our next meeting, we'll be reading Diving
into the Wreck by Kristine Kathryn Rusch.

Our next meeting will be on Thursday, February 9, 2012.

Place, Book Nook at:

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e

Time: 9 PM Eastern, 8 PM Central, 7 PM Mountain, 6 PM Pacific, and 02:00 UTC.

This book is available as a digital download from BARD at:

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.nls/db.70566

Here's the NLS synopsis:

When a lone space pilot nicknamed Boss picks up a faint energy signature, she
finds a derelict five-thousand-year-old Dignity Vessel from Earth. Returning to
Longbow Station, Boss keeps the amazing--but
impossible--discovery secret from everyone including the five
expert divers she hires to explore the perilous wreck.

Here's a longer description from Publishers Weekly taken from Amazon's page for
this book:

Rusch (the Retrieval Artist series) delivers a page-turning space adventure
while contemplating the ethics of scientists and governments working together
on future tech. Boss is a middle-aged loner who searches ancient spacecraft for
historical data. Driven by the memory of her mother being lured to a mysterious
station called the Room of Souls, Boss believes humanity is haunted by old
science, the kind that could kill us because we don't understand it. As Boss
carefully builds a crew of spacers who are mostly loners with secrets, their
notions about old and new tech, and about each other, must be re-evaluated as
they first dive a 5,000-year-old ship for clues and then head for the Room.
Rusch's spare prose sometimes flattens the characters, but admirably suits both
the adventure and the deep moral questions she raises.

This should be a very good book, an adventure written by someone of great skill
that asks some thoughtful questions. So a lively discussion of this one is
guaranteed at the next meeting. I hope lots of people will read it and want to
come and participate in it.

Evan