[bksvol-discuss] Re: Newbie looking for advice

  • From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 19:03:03 -0400

I'm only guessing, since I have never had WinZip installed; but I think you
will probably have to uninstall WinZip before Windows XP will unzip a file. As
it is now, Windows associates zipped files with WinZip. So whenever you try to
unzip a file, Windows automatically invokes WinZip. I presume that if Windows
works the way I think it should, that when you uninstall WinZip, then when you
try to unzip a file, Windows will do it on its own. If for some unknown reason
it doesn't, you never know with computers, <smile>, the worse that will happen
is that you will need to reinstall WinZip and (hopefully) get a new evaluation
period. There may be a simpler way of changing Windows' bahavior with respect
to unzipping files, but I don't know what it might be.

Just go to the context menu and click on the Extract option. Or, if the file is
in a folder, click on the folder and select the file; the Extract option will
probably be in the file menu instead of the context menu in that case. At
least, that is what I have seen with my own computer. Since you are only
getting one file in the case of a Bookshare book, it probably won't be in a
folder, so just go to the context menu and hit enter on the extract option.

HTH

Evan