[bksvol-discuss] Re: Newbie looking for advice

  • From: Marilyn Beasley <mbeasley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Devorah Greenstein <DGreenstein@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 23:29:20 -0400

Hi, Devorah.  Warm welcome from a fellow Newbie.

Don't worry, the book is not lost. Somewhere, it might be -- no, I don't want to guess, I'll go see if I can find it first -- is a choice to "Release" a book. You click on that and your problem is solved, the WHOLE book magically appears on the Step 1 page, at the top, just like you never had it. I'll go see if I can find it. It <might> be where the "Upload" choice is, but I'm
not positive.

Hugs,
Marilyn

On Mar 22, 2008, at 6:22 PM, Devorah Greenstein wrote:

I'm a very new volunteer. I validated two books successfully, studied the volunteer manual, read the books, etc. and I loved doing it, I am hooked on this validating thing; but two nights ago I had a weird and awful experience downloading a book for validating. I lost a book. I, junior, remedial Bookshare volunteer, have lost an entire book, misplaced the whole rtf file, it is gone! I have searched all over my computer and I can't find it.

First of all, it was too late at night for me to be doing anything purposeful, so I can't really tell you what I did, it seemed right at the time. Second of all, I just noticed this minute when I tried once again to find the file, that my Winzip file unzipper that I have been using in the free evaluation mode, just told me my evaluation period is up. Did Winzip eat the book because I haven't paid the $29?

I have searched my hard disk by file name and key phrase. I have searched in Recent Documents. I have searched in Winzip Wizard. Not anywhere. The first two books I had validated were found by the Winzip Wizard, but not my third book. I feel distraught, embarrassed, and, well, I guess the word humiliated is not too strong a word. How could I have lost a book? Is there any other place on my computer that I can look that it might be hidden? I can't think so, if the Winzip Wizard didn't find it.

Do I re-scan this book and submit it? Do the wise people at Bookshare keep a back-up copy so incompetent people like me don't destroy submitters' hard work? Fortunately the book is short. It's called An African Prayer Book by Desmond Tutu. I was really looking forward to reading it and validating it. I am looking for advice, help, direction. Should I go to the library and get a copy to re- scan it and submit it for someone else to validate. Has anyone ever lost an entire book?

Thanks for any advice. Feeling awful in snowy Minneapolis.

Devorah