[bksvol-discuss] Re: New volunteer first validation

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 12:33:41 -0400

Dear Laura Ann,

When I originally saved The Tale of Genji as an rtf file somehow I made it as a
Wordpad file  apparently as I had to put it somewhere. l also, I now discover,
have it in Word Perfect 12 as compatible with Word  as a read only but I can
edit it if I change the name. Okay. Now I want to have it as  OpenBook and and
to edit there.  Can you help me or have I completely muddied the water.  The
wordpad rtf Genji is edit-able but when I tried to move it to Openbook it
coverted back to wordpad or was read-only in O-B. All this confusion is making
my head spin.

Before I started as a volunteer with Bookshare I considered myself a fairly
reasonable, educable teacher of writing which means I helped students edit
their work.  Now If I can edit a freshman's confusion I really should be able
to validate a copy of a published masterwork with the original in my lap but .
. . .

Can you help me out of this mess. Since I am available most of the time but I
do not want you to be stuck with the phone bill for the telephone call if you
will tell me when to call you - edt or cdt - I will be delighted to call you.
Especially since the print size is no longer a problem if you have the solution
to the conversion all will be well.

OOPS - I don't know if it is an added problem but once in WordPerfect 12 I get
to choose between Word Perfect Mode, WordPerfect Classic Mode (5.1),  Microsoft
Word Mode,  and Word Perfect Legal Mode.  I have always chosen Microsoft Word
Mode (I am not certain why)  but with and, I believe all 4 of them there is a
period when it undergoes "conversion".  I don't know how relevant to my
coversion to Openbook this is but I cannot open the file without making a
choice. [coverting from one program to another seems almost more complicated as
coverting from one religion to another].  I am beginning to feel like a
"bloomin' idjut".

Yours truly,

Amy
omst