[bksvol-discuss] Re: New 3 hold maximum in check out queue

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 23:36:23 -0400

Indeed, we really need for some of those new volunteers to take up scanning. Yes, a good many of them are likely to not have the equipment, but the ones who do should be encouraged to start submitting.

On 7/25/2012 10:34 PM, Ali Al-hajamy wrote:
To build on your statement, not necessarily in disagreement because I don't, but just as a random thought, the "overwhelming number" here refers to about thirty-five out of fifty books available on the checkout list at all times. What I mean by that is that if there were more books being scanned, even if there were a lot of holds, necessary or not, it wouldn't matter, because we would ideally have enough books for volunteers to be able to browse and find something interesting that didn't happen to have a hold on it. That's the way it used to be even as recently as last year. The problem you stated in your message, as far as I can see, is only really a problem because there aren't many books available on the checkout list, and if there were, it wouldn't be as big of a problem, assuming it would exist at all. Conclusion: We need more scanners. Or, as outlined before on this list, Bookshare should think about putting books that have had quality reports written about them, in-house and outsourced scans, or both onto the checkout list for prooffers to work on them. Something needs to change, that's all I know for sure. And perhaps restricting the partnerships of long-established volunteers, many of whom (a) scan, and (b) might just decide to stop working with us if their activities continue to be restricted for the sake of pandering to new volunteers is not the best way to go about it.

On 25-Jul-12 22:10, Roger Loran Bailey wrote:
The trouble with that is that it would likely encourage unnecessary holds. Like I said, I think we already get a lot of unnecessary holds. When someone announces that they have a book ready to upload and asks who wants it that is an unnecessary hold. If you are going to place a hold on it for the first person who asks for it then why place a hold on it at all? The overwhelming number of books on the checkout list have holds as it is. These suggestions of keeping some kind of form that people can state the kinds of books that they would like held for them seems to be steering the checkout list toward nothing but holds. There would be no room for a new volunteer to just browse it and try out proofreading.
On 7/25/2012 9:56 PM, Ali Al-hajamy wrote:
Great idea. Then people could get in touch with volunteers, new or old, who they know would be interested in whatever they've scanned, and this problem would be minimised.

On 25-Jul-12 21:54, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

Tracy, have you made an effort to get to know folks here? Have you let anyone know the kinds of books you're interested in proofing? Have you put out an announcement on the list as to what you'd like to proof? A scanner cannot know all proofers, and may not know that you're interested in proofing a given type of book.

Maybe what we need is to have volunteers write blurbs or fill out forms where they say what types of books they like. Just a thought.

Ann P.