[bksvol-discuss] Re: Need some pointers!

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:53:08 -0500

Reggie,
Do you  use K1000? I don't know if Openbook has a  similar feature to K1000's
ranked spelling. If it does, then I'd say one really good thing to do is run
ranked spelling, or the Openbook equivalent on the books you
want to validate and try to clean up as many errors as you can. Also search for
the tab character and see if there are junk characters around it. That's harder
if the book you're validating still has headers, because a lot
of times, you'll see that tab character show up in headers.  You obviously have
to check to make sure the author, copyright and date info is present and
correct. And you could do a book integrity check as outlined by
Guido yesterday in response to somebody's question. All that taken together
will take much less time than actually reading the book. The tough part comes
when you come across a book that needs lots of fixing up.
You have to decide whether you want to do it, rescan the book if you can find
it, reject the book because its not really readable, or release it because you
don't want to be the one who rejects something that
somebody else might fix up, but you yourself don't have the time and/or can't
find the book to rescan.
Mary