[bksvol-discuss] Re: Need More Scanners

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 10:33:26 -0400

There is a list of publishers that contribute books to Bookshare on the Bookshare site. If a publisher is listed there then there is some likelihood that your submission may be replaced. Unfortunately, there is not a list of imprints with that list of publishers, so you may have to do some research to find out if the publisher of the book you want to scan is an imprint of one of those publishers. It might be found out by googling the phrase "blank is an imprint of" where the name of the publisher as listed on your book is substituted for the word blank. As new publishers are signed up by Bookshare it might happen that what was once a "safe" publisher will become one that is not "safe." I suppose that means that you can never be absolutely sure that your submission will never be replaced. However, let me repeat what was said once before by a subscriber to this list who rarely posts. When she does it is a good one and here it is. If you were a volunteer in a homeless shelter and all the residents found homes would you feel like your work had been wasted? I would hope not because up until the time that they found homes your work would have been useful. Similarly, if you contribute a book to Bookshare it will be available up until the time that it is replaced and during that time your efforts will be providing a service.

On 7/12/2012 8:27 AM, Amber Wallenstein wrote:
It's not that I can't find books to scan, that's not the problem.
It's knowing if bookshare will replace my books.
That's the part I can't figure out.
I don't know where to look to find this information.
Amber
"We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be." —
May Sarton