[bksvol-discuss] Need Advice on Fonts

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 18:12:10 -0700

I was checking out the rtf version of the latest book I scanned, and JAWS
wouldn't read the title on the title page.  I looked at the font, knowing that
JAWS is sometimes reluctant to read fonts that are really big or really small.
According to Word, the font is regular, but the size it gives is 2.  If I
recall correctly, don't fonts get bigger as the numbers get bigger?  A 20-point
font is bigger than a 10-point font, right?  I know that K1000 and OpenBook try
to preserve the font size and type.  Is a size of 2 really big or really small?
 What is this going to look like on a screen?  Does the conversion to rtf mess
up the font characteristics?  I changed the size to 14, just so I could get
JAWS to read it, but this is only temporary until I hear from someone who can
straighten me out on how the font scale works.  But if the size goes up as the
numbers go up, as I had thought, then a size of 2 is really small, right?  If
my understanding is correct, then how could K1000 get the size so backwards?  I
know the print on the title is actually very large.  Should I leave it at 2, or
change it to something that is more reflective of the actual print?

Thanks for any enlightenment.