[bksvol-discuss] Re: NIMAC and Acorna's books

I am cc-ing this directly to Claire, especially about the 2nd topic.

Ann, the NIMAC concept is good, but I know you read all the email about it
and read that Jim F. came on himself to address this. He said that in their
negotiations with NIMAC, that was a point he had to give away to get other
aspects. The dreaded politics... What is Common Sense to many often has no
bearing in Business. We can't have NIMAC for blind parents bec NIMAC funding
is for school kids. To let Bookshare have it the NIMAC restrictions reps had
to hold I guess. Bummer for blind parents, and leads to scanning
duplications. Yup. Stupid in our eyes, but so is lots of bureaucracy and
government restrictions.

Re: Dan's comments about Acorna's books not in braille format, (I want them
too) that was explained that the Publisher's Quality books were only Daisy
at the moment and the engineers were working on a conversion program to get
them into .brf. My last night question related to these was that members
have said there aren't page breaks, they are .txt formats, which BS no
longer accepts, and why list them when we can't *all* access them yet, and
when braille access is available, will they be relisted as new books?

Liz in Portland, with several hours to SCAN today, yahoo!!!

Liz Halperin
Portland, OR
lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx