[bksvol-discuss] Re: My novel is finished!!!!

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:36:17 -0400

I beg to differ.  "In Cold Blood," "The Executioners Song," "Hell's Angels"
and Joan Didion's "Salvador" are all usually considered non-fiction and
sometimes even journalism.

The difference between "historical fiction" and either the new journalism,
creative non-fiction  or non-fiction novel is poorly defined in the
intellectual community.  Post-modernists like "non-fiction novel" as it
explains how facts mixed with fiction can deliver a greater truth.
Traditionalists prefer "historical novel" or something similar as they, like
you, do not accept the migration of the word "novel" to a different
definition.  Saul Bellow, another of the greats who died relatively
recently, argued for creative non-fiction and promoted it in the relatively
new journal he started at Boston University about a decade ago.

Oddly, all of the heroes of the form, whatever you call it, actually
preferred "new journalists" or, in Thompson's case, "gonzo journalist" as
none of them were terribly enamored with any of the labels that emerged from
the prosodic aspects of their work.

The real controversies come when one tries to debate where Alan Ginsberg's
and the works of other poets of the latter half of the twentieth century
poetry fall on the fiction/non-fiction scale.  While they contain many deep
internal truths they tent to only be described as poetry with no adjective
attached as poets can't be bothered with such debates over criticism.

Have fun,

cdh