[bksvol-discuss] Re: My favorite Bulwer-Lytton sentence

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 21:34:57 EDT

I think I would call that metaphorical punning, but just plain punning
would do.

                                                                  "If you
tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine."
Che Guevara

                 The Militant: http://www.themilitant.com/txtindex.shtml
Pathfinder Press: http://www.pathfinderpress.com
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: My favorite Bulwer-Lytton sentence
Date:
7/5/2009 9:09:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Hi, Bob and everyone else who delights in the slightly absurd, I've heard
songs which manipulate words in an interesting way. I really don't know how
describe this. Say you have a song using foods, fish, or animals to say
something. Here's an example of what I mean: "Gorilla of my dreams, you're a
cheetah
it seems, Oh, why are you lion to me?" or "I'm not floundering around and I
thank cod I never smelt anything awful. I was herring all manner of chough,
so I left for the halibut."  I admire this kind of thing. Do we call this
extensive punning? Regards, Kim.

----