[bksvol-discuss] Re: More books lingering on download list

This has the potential to go way off topic, but I wanted to clarify what I
meant by the word exasperation. I was not referring to christian fiction in
particular. In fact, I have never read one of those, but your description of
them coincides with my impression of them and reinforces my lack of interest in

reading one. I was referring more to religious nonfiction, and I do not just
mean christian. My exasperation is derived from the fact that as an atheist I
am  flabbergasted by the fact that anyone could actually believe that stuff.
I read  an occasional fantasy novel. In fact, I am validating one right now. A
fantasy  novel, however, is taken seriously by neither the author nor the
reader and so  can be enjoyable entertainment. Religious doctrine is no more or
less fantastic  as the wizards, sprites and other magical beings and occurances
in a fantasy  novel and, indeed is quite similar, but the fact that the
author, especially,  takes that kind of fantasy seriously and actually believes
in
things that are  demonstrably false is extremely exasperating to me. In a
message dated 9/16/2008  7:21:33 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx
writes:

Hi  all,

As a "volunteer", one who wills to do something, you do not have  to
justify yourself at all.  Some people like some books, others do  not.
I don't particularly like romance.  I read about one  romance a year, if
that.  I like action books.  I dislike  political thrillers and books
that move slowly.

I know people who  read romances till they come out of their ears!  I
don't understand  it, but then, I like Catherine Asaro and David Weber,
and they can't stand  those books!

I had to smile about the description of Christian  books.  Some evoke
the same reaction in me because they strive so  mightily to convey a
point that the story, if there was one, is totally  obscured.  Sometimes
the writing is so awful and the dialogue is  stilted!  I get exasperated
too.  If you want to write Christian  apologetics in fiction, try
emulating C.S. Lewis, not a dime novel  author.

Different strokes for different folks.

Ann  P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who  wander are lost."

Email services provided by the System Access Mobile  Network.  Visit
www.serotek.com to learn more about accessibility  anywhere.
To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email  to
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
put the word 'unsubscribe' by  itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the  word 'help' by itself in the subject line.