[bksvol-discuss] More, Re: "Adult" books

  • From: "Allison" <alwaysallie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Volunteer List" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 03:24:36 -0500

Hi everyone,

I still think we are all missing an important point here. Unfortunately,
with the way our country is run, Bookshare really can't make their adult
material available to everyone. They just can't. They have liability
issues there. True, that may or may not be right, but that's not necessarily
Bookshare's decision to make. At least not as far as I understand it. So
let's just take it off the list and write our congressmen or someone? Because I
think it's they, and other legislators, that make this an issue. We can
debate the problems of society all day long, but it still won't get the
adult books out there to everyone.

Now why can other sites seem to get away with similar issues?  I have no
idea.  Believe me, I've been surprised by what Google will come up with
while performing seemingly innocent searches.  And pop-up ads, they are
still pretty much everywhere.Also, anyone know why NLS does not have to
filter its material?  I think all Web Braille books are available to all
registered members, am I correct?  And even unregistered individuals can
view the titles and book summaries.  One can argue that Bookshare has some
more extreme or explicit material than NLS, but even so, NLS has its share.
If anyone has a clue why this is so, enlighten me, cuz I don't get it.

Okay, there's my late night jottings for you all.  You can hit your delete
key now.

Smiles,
Allison

----- Original Message ----- From: "David" <davidc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>