[bksvol-discuss] Re: More Questions on Proofing

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 08:03:41 -0400

Hi Chris,
Speaking selfishly, if I can get what's happening from the context, I will
be happy, but I am willing to wait.

Thanks.

Jim

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"it is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis." --
Margaret Bonnano

Highmark internal only: Consider Usability Engineering On Your Next Project
or release. http://highwire.highmark.com/sites/iwov/hwt093/

             "Chris Hofstader"
             <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             bksvol-discuss-bo                                          cc
             unce@xxxxxxxxxxxx         "'Jamal Mazrui'"
             g                         <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
                                                                   Subject
                                       [bksvol-discuss] More Questions on
             05/27/2008 07:31          Proofing
             AM

             Please respond to
             bksvol-discuss@fr
                eelists.org

Hi,

Sorry for the pile of emails but my lovely wife Susan and I are the new
kids
on the scanning and proofing block and we run into different curiosities as
we proceed.  This question applies to  our Drupal book.  For those who
don't
work on web sites, Drupal is a program that makes building really
interesting web sites relatively simple.

The book has a lot of screen shots (mentioned in my last message) in which
OmniPage 15 recognizes quite a bit of text but never all of it and it often
thinks that a border is a letter "I" or "l" or just some schmootz that it
ignores.

Susan, my lovely wife, was planning on making up descriptions for these
screen shots in a future phase of the reviewing process.  She estimated
that
this would take a lot of time as there are a lot of these shots.  She added
that virtually all of these screen shots do nothing more than show how
Drupal will render a page visually when using features described in the
text
that can be read nicely.

Susan has meticulously gone through most if not all of the code samples and
fixed the odd exclamation point that was recognized as an "l" and a few
other single character mistakes that can make code examples boggle one's
mind as parsers rarely have enough intelligence to figure out, "He didn't
mean 'l' but rather, he wanted an '!' in that spot" which will lead to hair
pulling to try to figure out why copy and paste from the document didn't
work.

How valuable will it be to spend a ton of time trying to come up with text
augmentations and annotations to include the screen shots?  Keep in mind
that the same time would otherwise be spent proofing other books which may
be a bit less challenging as regards graphical content.

Happy Hacking,
cdh