[bksvol-discuss] Re: Moby Dick

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:57:34 -0500

One of the reasons Dickens and others got paid by the word was because many of their works were originally written as serializations for weekly or monthly publications. It was also a way for publishers to handle new unknown authors just breaking into the market, rather than having to deal with paying royalties.

Dave

At 02:18 PM 2/11/2005, you wrote:
Yep Charles Dickens also got paid by the word for a lot of his novels.
Oliver Twist, The Pickwick Papers, and Bleak House for three.

And Les Miserabs by Victor Hugo, was originally a set, and so he goes into
graphic and extreme detail about the Battle at Waterloo, sigh.

Shelley L. Rhodes and Judson, guiding golden juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc. Graduate Advisory Council www.guidedogs.com

      -- Vance Havner