[bksvol-discuss] Re: Missing story titles

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 18:22:33 -0700

Well, at least this episode clearly answers one question.

If the submitted book has all its headers perfect (as I know this one did since I validated it), and the page numbers are at the bottom of the page, you still need to put something before the pages with the actual section or story titles or they will be stripped along with the other headers. From something Jake said a while ago, I was hoping this would only be true if the actual chapter title began with the word chapter and the page numbers were at the top of the page, normally, but at the bottom of the pages that begin sections. In this book all page numbers were at the bottom of the page (they didn't scan as perfectly as the headers, so I had to fix a few of them).

So, we can strip the headers, even if they are scanned perfectly, or we can move all page numbers to the top of the page, or we can put something like this on the pages with section headings.

page break
blank line
junk text
blank line
Section title
blank line
page text
blank line
page number
blank line
page break

and so on, to prevent section titles from being gobbled up by the stripper.

In all previous books I verified, I stripped the headers because some of them were garbled and it is easier to delete them than fix the garbling. Some I moved all the page numbers to the top of the page, but that's pretty tedious.

Oh, and I'm not sure how many of the volumes in this collection are in bookshare, but they would have been validated by someone else, so I don't know if they would have the story titles or not.

Misha

Bob wrote:
I have just downloaded "
Thunder and Roses: The Complete Stories of Theodore Sturgeon, Volume 4" listed in the new books section of the website.

It's a great scan and validation: except for one minor problem. The story titles are missing from the text.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think the story titles are somewhat important in a collection of short stories, unless you are willing to read the book from cover to cover, or don't mind having your point of view wrenched drastically from one point-of-view/character/setting to another one without warning.

I think I can fix the problem fairly easily, as long as the page numbers in the book correspond to the page numbers in the table of contents. What do I do then? I will wind up with a .kes file that can be converted to an .rtf file. Can I get my amended version put back into the collection?

I presume there are at least three previous books in this series. Are they also missing story titles?

Thanks.

Bob

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is
the only thing that ever has."--Margaret Mead