From: "Chris Feist" <ccfeist@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2007 2:24 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Missing out on best sellers, was November New York
Times bestsellers

Hi again, Carrie.

I'm sympathetic to your feelings.  However, since I'm a new  kid on the
block--to both Bookshare and to validating books--I would appreciate some
clarification on who is in charge of certain tasks.

My understanding is that it's Bookshare's goal to provide us with the top 10
from the New York Times Best Sellers list, regardless of the author and its
content.  This is certainly a noble endeavor which I applaud.

With that in mind, what I'm confused about is this.  Have you volunteered
your own time to selectively scan and validate best sellers, therefore what
gets added is understandably at your own discretion?  Or conversely, is
adding best sellers a vital part of your job description with Bookshare?

If it's the former, than I can only say thank you for doing as much scanning
and validating as you do, which seems to be a lot.

However, if it's the latter, and as a result books you personally find
objectionable are delayed or left out of the collection completely, then by
not fulfilling an obligation means many Bookshare members are not reaping
the full benefits of membership.  I hope you can see my dilemma here.

With all due respect, if adding the best sellers falls solely into your area
of responsibility, then if you cannot bring yourself to do it, can you
perhaps pass along the job of adding best sellers you don't care for to
another party??  Then the titles you don't personally wish to handle would
be available to the rest of us in a reasonable time frame.

Again, since I'm so new, I don't know whose responsibilities are whose, and
whether what you do is totally voluntary or compulsory due to a job
position.  Either way, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect all of the
New York Times Best Sellers to be available to patrons.  As a member, I paid
a decent amount of money to join Bookshare so to have access to books just
like the one which was denied addition to the collection.

As I mentioned, I'm sensitive to the fact that you find some books
distressing.  However, as proof of how many people actually enjoy reading
her books--whether they be sighted, blind, or anything else--I point to
Coulter's position on the New York Times Best Sellers list as confirmation
that there is high demand for her material.

Thank you, and I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Chris Feist - The one and only!

From: Chris Feist <ccfeist@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Scott.  Thanks for letting me know.  That's good to hear.  the only one
missing now is Ann Coulter's latest.  I really want to read that one.

I'm really glad I recently joined Bookshare.  Thank goodness that even
though I'm blind, I can have access to so many wonderful books.

Chris Feist - The one and only!