[bksvol-discuss] Re: Missing chapter headings

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 09:11:50 -0400

Hi Jamie. The new stripper is programmed to look for text at the top of a
page that is in a larger font than the rest of the text. If it finds that
text, it is told to treat it as a chapter heading. That is something that
was mentioned by the staff in the chat room during beta testing of the new
site. I can't remember if they posted it to this list. It's something I
remember testing to see if it was working and if I could confuse it. Doing
the larger font isn't mandatory. It's just another way of letting the reader
and the software know that it's a chapter heading. The traditional method of
putting a page number above the heading still works, as does using a heading
that has the word "chapter" in it. They're trying to allow for a wider range
of chapter headings so proofreaders don't have to jump through hoops to make
books look right. The new stripper is more forgiving in how it processes
things and is more powerful in how it responds to things like the circumflex
character Openbook sometimes uses instead of quotation marks. I think the
goal is to make our work as volunteers as easy as possible when it comes to
things like formatting and chapter headings. The manual does need to be
updated to explain this more clearly.

Monica Willyard

  _____