[bksvol-discuss] Re: Mindless frivolityRE: Re: 2 questions for the gang

  • From: Shannon Curry <shannon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 23:43:38 -0600

Mostly I said what I said because I thought someone had to stick up for the pr0n-loving contingent on the list.

I agree that gratuitous sex is never good, but I also think that one person's gratuitous sex is another person's really hot encounter. I can think of a couple of erotic romance authors who are masters at making sure every scene contributes to the relationship and is plot-relevant. But I'm pretty sure lots of people would still dismiss their books as having too much gratuitous sex.

That being said, I'd so much rather read gratuitous sex than gratuitous violence. At least in romance novels--at least those written after, say, 1990--you know that the characters like each other. But I can't take graphic violence, and my tolerance for torture porn (which is how much of it comes across) is quite low.

Shannon

At 11:32 PM 3/1/2010, Kim Friedman wrote:
Speaking for myself, I don't care for sex or violence if it's gratuitous,
i.e., when there's no reason for it. In romance novels I get, you pretty
much know that sex will come up at some point in the story because of the
feelings of the protagonists. I can accept this as it fits. I really like it
if there's genuine caring going on and sex is used to show there is not only
desire but some sense of commitment and caring occurring. I feel
uncomfortable when there's coldness and nastiness being praised. It
distresses me when people are heartless toward each other and sex is a
weapon. I also think it depends on what the author is trying to do in the
story. If violence is used but is not regarded as glorious then I think it's
there for a purpose. I do have problems with some of James Patterson's books
because he overdoes the psychopathic killer thing. I don't like this "Well
if you have one serial killer in the novel to scare the bejabers out of
people, why not have two or more." This is overkill. I suppose that's why
I'm unwilling to read horror novels. I don't like anything too gruesome.
 If I can't find something I like about the author's characters, it's
probable I might not care for the book. If the writing's good, the story's
good, and I care about the characters, I'll read a book even though I may
not care for the language or there's descriptions of sex or violence.
Regards, Kim.