[bksvol-discuss] Mindless frivolityRE: Re: 2 questions for the gang

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 21:32:44 -0800

Speaking for myself, I don't care for sex or violence if it's gratuitous,
i.e., when there's no reason for it. In romance novels I get, you pretty
much know that sex will come up at some point in the story because of the
feelings of the protagonists. I can accept this as it fits. I really like it
if there's genuine caring going on and sex is used to show there is not only
desire but some sense of commitment and caring occurring. I feel
uncomfortable when there's coldness and nastiness being praised. It
distresses me when people are heartless toward each other and sex is a
weapon. I also think it depends on what the author is trying to do in the
story. If violence is used but is not regarded as glorious then I think it's
there for a purpose. I do have problems with some of James Patterson's books
because he overdoes the psychopathic killer thing. I don't like this "Well
if you have one serial killer in the novel to scare the bejabers out of
people, why not have two or more." This is overkill. I suppose that's why
I'm unwilling to read horror novels. I don't like anything too gruesome.
 If I can't find something I like about the author's characters, it's
probable I might not care for the book. If the writing's good, the story's
good, and I care about the characters, I'll read a book even though I may
not care for the language or there's descriptions of sex or violence.
Regards, Kim.