[bksvol-discuss] Math heavy books

  • From: Soronel Haetir <soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 10:06:49 -0800

I am considering scanning some books that are extremely math heavy
including Donald Knuth's The Art of Computer Programming.  Is there an
accepted method of translating equations that use multi-line symbols
such as integrals and summations?  Also, since I use text-to-speech
rather than braille displays (I only recently became blind and have
not nor intend to learn braille at this time) I have no idea how greek
letters are handled by such devices.  All of the books I am
considering scanning have a great deal of math markup, including such
things as super and subscripts, equations as mentioned above etc.

There are also graphs, flowcharts and other elements that I have no
idea how to handle properly.

I have tried searching the existing bookshare library but as far as I
can tell the existing math books focus much more on elementary level
texts rather than univesity course work.

I know wikipedia as an example uses latex markup, but that isn't very
pretty as text in my opinion.

Any thoughts on this?

--
Soronel Haetir