[bksvol-discuss] Re: MP3 beta

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: robt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 09:30:33 -0400

Hi Rob et al,

Original message:

Hello Bookshare volunteers,

FYI. Even though the MP3 beta zip archives contain files that are normally associated with DAISY books, these books are not DAISY audio. Please use the MP3 files and ignore the rest. The MP3 beta books should be treated as audio files not as DAISY books.

OK, Rob, shall do, but I've got to ask. If they aren't DAISY Audio, then why are the DAISY file indicators there? What is the purpose of the .opf .ccs .smil and so on? Why not just package the files as plain MP3's? Are you intending to make them DAISY eventually? Is the converter putting in the mock DAISY files by mistake? Hey, I know this is a beta, so I'm askin' cuz I really am interested. I saw the DAISY indicators and naturally thought they were DAISY files. You may want to change the configuration of the zip files until you can create true DAISY books, unless you're doing this for a valid reason? If you think it's not appropriate for the whole list, I'll understand. Write me privately. I'd really like to help here, not cause trouble. I thought part of testing beta stuff was to alert programmers that bugs are apparent. If we knew more about what was going on, we could help better me thinks.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring