[bksvol-discuss] Re: M dashes and fonts

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 16:09:12 -0600

Cindy, below are instructions for standardizing the font, if you aren't sure about anything just ask again.

6)  Standardize the "Font Style" and the "Font Size" of text and headings
Font Style:
>  all text in the body of the book:
    set to Times New Roman
Font Size:
>  all text in the body of the book:
    -  set to 12 point
>  all chapter sub headings  (if any exist):
    -  set to 14 point, and
    -  add bolding
>  all chapter headings:
    -  set to 16 point, and
    -  add bolding
> all larger section headings (if any exist, such as "Part I" or "Section A"):
    -  set to 18 point, and
    -  add bolding
Then set scale, spacing and position of Font to "normal" by doing the following.
Open the Font formatting menu by typing the following key sequence:
  Alt + o + f
(the Alt key, followed by the lower case o key, followed by the lower case f key)
On the tab for Character spacing, set:
  -  the Scale to 100%,
  -  the Spacing to Normal, and
  -  the Position to Normal.
Special note:
You don't have to use Times New Roman as the specific font. Other common straightforward
fonts, like Georgia, Arial, Verdana and Garamond are fine.
Special note:
Because your Chapter Headings will lose their formatting, if they had any, they
will be optimized in the next step for best conversion by Bookshare's tools.
7)  Format the Font Size of the book Title and Author
On the book's Title page:
>  select the text of the Title and:
    -  set the Font Size to 20 point, and
    -  add bolding
>  select the text of the Author and:
    -  set the Font Size to 18 point, and
    -  add bolding
Melissa Smith
On 1/23/2011 3:42 PM, Cindy Ray wrote:
Ugh, I have proofread before, but there are things I should remember. If I have
to do a training book, not sure I will cause I'm not sure I have the time.

First of all, if the book has m dashes, do we take those out, or do they
translate into double hyphens. Or should they be changed to --.
Second, am I supposed to go through this book and find fonts to change. Some of
these say 11 point, not greater than 14.

Metyhinks these are my only questions about the book.