[bksvol-discuss] Re: M dashes and fonts

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 13:59:46 -0800

Hi Cindy Lou,

I'm going to paste below several snatches of several e-mails having to do
with fonts that I sent just a few days ago.  I hope the information helps
you.

Please ask questions if you have them.

You are not required to proofread a test book as far as I know, so rest easy
about that.

See below for information about fonts, using JAWS to identify them, and how
books are best formatted.  If anything is unclear, please don't hesitate to
ask for clarification.

Mayrie

Standardize all of the font.  Follow the first step (see below even farther)
and make it all 12-point and in the same font, any of those suggested in the
instructions I sent.  I personally like Ariel or Times New Roman, but it
really doesn't matter.  Which font you choose is really for the benefit of
the sighted proofreader, which you are not.  As long as it's all the same
font, you're good.

Once you've standardized the font size you can fix the title on the title
page and chapter headings.

First, if you want JAWS to tell you information about selected text, first
select the text, then press the JAWS insert key and the letter f and JAWS
will tell you all of the font attributes of the text that you have
highlighted.  So, for example, to know what a chapter heading looks like
that reads something like "Chapter 1" place your cursor at the beginning of
the line of text, press shift plus end which will highlight the entire line
of text, then use the JAWS insert plus the letter f to hear all of the font
attributes including whether or not the text is normal, bolded, italicized,
and the size of said text.

I'm going to paste below, if I can find it on my hard drive the section of a
document created by Judy a while back about how to standardize font in a
book, and then how to enlarge the size and bold the chapter titles.

6.
Standardize font.
Standardize font to Times New Roman size 12 with title and chapter headings
at 16 and bolded.  Then set scale, spacing and position of font to normal by
doing the following.
Select/highlight the entire font by pressing control plus a Open the font
formatting menu by typing the following key sequence: alt o f (the alt key,
followed by the lower-case o key, followed by the lower-case f key) On the
tab for Character spacing, set the Scale to 100%, the spacing to normal, and
the position to normal.  Special note:  You don't have to use Times New
Roman as the specific font.  Other common straightforward fonts, like
Georgia, Arial, Verdana and Garamond are fine.  Special note:  because your
Chapter headings will lose their formatting, if they had any, they will be
optimized in the next step for best conversion by Bookshare's tools.

7.
Format book title.
On the book's title page, reformat the book title by selecting the text of
the title, bolding it and changing the font size to 20

8.
Protect and format chapter headings
Protect all chapter headings by placing the page number followed by a blank
line above the chapter heading and a blank line between the chapter heading
and the text on the page. You do not need to move all page numbers to the
tops of pages, but doing this on the pages that has chapter headings helps
to protect the chapter headings from being accidentally removed by a
software tool used by Bookshare to process the book after it has been
proofread. When you do need to move a page number from the bottom of a page
to the top to protect the chapter heading, make sure that only one page
number exists on each page.
Format each chapter heading by selecting the text of the chapter heading,
bolding it and changing the font size to 16.